Sunday, September 03, 2006

Day 3: Trinidad del Arre to Pamplona

"Climbed out the window and stared at the stars
but the moment I wanted had already passed"
-Neil Halstead

Too damn easy. Level, paved roads and sidewalks all the way. Left the refugio at 7:45 and got into town just after 9:00. Most of the pilgrims were up at 6:30, rummaging about, determined to make the camino a substitute for their regular rat-race. Not me. Since I couldn´t sleep with all their bloody noise, I went into the garden for a coffee and a smoke (3 each, actually) under the stars, and watched the sun rise over the mountains. Incredibly peaceful way to start the day. People should do that kind of thing more often.

In Pamplona now in my little room in the Hotel Europa. Arrived a couple of hours ago and had breakfast in the Plaza del Castillo. Pamplona´s really starting to grow on me. It´s a small enough city that people are still friendly and helpful, yet large enough to have all the big-city amenities like taxis, cafes, a public transit system, a tourist infrastructure and crazy people. Their system of crazy people (heretofore referred to as "locos") is particularly impressive. It´s very complex, but from what I can determine, each loco is responsible for wandering (quite randomly) around an approximately 3-block radius hurling abuse at anyone who should happen to pass by. In addition, there are a couple of stationary locos (or Loco Stations...take your pick), in the Plaza del Castillo and the Plaza San Fransico; presumably for people who want their abuse now, and can´t wait for the next roaming loco to get it.

Heading out to Puente la Reina tomorrow. Hopefully. There´s a big-ass mountain just outside of Pamplona that fills me with dread. But, just like before, one step at a time.

Funny how time passes on the Camino. Bilbao and London seem a lifetime away, even though it was less than a week ago that I left London. By the time I finished the Camino, it will have felt like years. At this rate, it might very well be years.

Also noticed an interesting phenomenon. My clothes appear to be growing. I´ve considered other possibilities, but this is the only explination that makes sense. This will require more study....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is all i can say! keep going. amalia