Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Day 6: Puente la Reina to Lorca

"on the road again..."
-Willie Nelson

Somewhat disappointed with my progress today; guess I overextended myself on the walk from Pamplona. After yesterday´s glorious 26km trek, I could barely make it 13km today. My feet were killing me the whole way; seems I got some pretty bad blisters the last bit of walking yesterday. Also did a very stupid thing and skipped breakfast this morning. One of the first things they tell you on the Camino is to drink even when you´re not thirsty. Eating even when you´re not hungry is just as important. I absolutely ran out of gas halfway to Lorca, and there wasn´t a cafe in sight. It was all I could do to drag my ass into town and get to the refugio. Learned my lesson, I won´t be doing that again.

The heat wave is supposed to break tomorrow, so that should be a relief. In any case, I´m only going as far as Estella tomorrow (which was today´s objective). Want to stay at least half a day there, as the town shares it´s name with my mother´s family. Should be fun. Weird how the various waves of pilgrims come through here. First few days it was mostly Spanish Pilgrims, then French for the next couple. For the last couple of days, it´s been German pilgrims. Every time I´m walking on the road I hear people speaking in German somewhere behind me. In any case, they´re all very nice, and with a few exeptions speak English reasonably well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't life a camino in itself. We wander from place to place on a road that may lead us nowhere or may lead us somewhere. We are never sure. We stumble through our own caminos meeting people along the way. People who inspire, people who anoy, but in general, people who are also just stumbling along.

What you said about Tito Inaki was so true. He really did have a gentle soul and he will be missed.

May the camino of your life be smooth Anton, and if it isn't, may you stumble into some wonderful people along the way.

Miren

ps. In case you haven't already guessed...that smart ass comment about the ant, was from me.