Friday, September 08, 2006

Day 8: Estella to Los Arcos

"everybody hurts sometimes"
-REM

Ouch. Today was defined by a lot of foot pain and a great deal of walking in the sun. Not really remarkable for the sights, sounds, only for it´s length. See, between Estella and Los Arcos, there´s a little town called Villamayor. It´s about 9km from Estella. After Villamayor, there´s about 12km of...nothing. No hills, no valleys, no clouds, no shade, no water, no animals, no people, no cigarettes, no hope. Altogether unremarkable except for it´s length, and it´s lack of anything worth remarking about.

My feet, for the most part are holding up well, with the big exception of both my little toes. The left one can´t seem to decide whether it wants to look like a grape or a chunk of ground beef, and the right one decided it didn´t really need that toenail after all. Sorry ´bout that - I´ll keep the details to myself next time.

To make up for that last bit, here, for your amuesement is scene 1 from an instructional play based on a real life story. It´s called "How to not make friends", by yours truly:

Cast of characters: Miriam (Irish), Jean-Philippe (French), Juan (idiot)

Scene 1: A pilgrim refuge, around the kitchen table; lots of activity about, Miriam, Jean-Philippe and Juan talking over the din about travel destinations

Miriam: Well, I don´t know...there´s really not much to see in Ireland. If you have other places you want to see, I´d put Ireland pretty far down on the list. Look at him (points to Jean-Pierre) nothing to see in Canada, nothing to see in Ireland, look at him just swell up with pride.
(the three laugh)
Jean-Philippe: Eez funny you know...everyone has zere idea of how countries should look. For example, when I seenk of Canada, I seenk of forests and mountayns. When I seenk of Ireland I seenk of, uh...
Juan: Burning cars and masked gunmen?
Miriam: ...
Jean-Philippe: ...
Juan: Holy shit, did I say that out loud?

Undoubtedly to be continued...

No comments: